THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, THIS MEANS THAT I GET A COMMISSION IF YOU MADE A PURCHASE THROUGH ANY OF MY LINKS, WITHOUT ANY EXTRA COST TO YOU. PLEASE READ MY WEBSITE’S DISCLOSURE TO LEARN MORE.
What is Career Break
A career break is also known as ‘the adult gap year’ is a tradition in most institutions for their workers to engage in some period breaks off-work activities. Taking a career break simply implies taking time off your current employment; which can be for professional development or personal situations. The duration for career varies and ranges from one month to two years.
A related term to career break is sabbatical. The two words are often used interchangeably. However, a sabbatical lasts for a period of 12 months; and it’s brought into life from bible passage where field workers have to stop working for a period of 12 months. Normally, payment will be paused during the sabbatical break; and it’s based on your agreement with your employer.
Research has shown that a lot of people that undergo these breaks tend to choose a new career once they return.
Factors That Influences Career Break
A lot of factors influence an individual choice. I’ve compiled some of the best factors that need to be critically considered before taking this break. These include;
- Learn New Skill: This is one of the key factors that need to be considered; do you have a skill set to learn? You can make maximum utilization of your career break by deciding to learn and gain new skills; expertise; and experience that would enable you to get a new position; or aid the discharge of your duties in your current position.
- Gather New Job Experience: This is another factor that needs due consideration before embarking on a career break. You should contemplate whether the break would assist you in gaining perspective and determination of what you really want with your life. The break should give you room to meet new individuals; get to know their personality; know new places; gain new experience.
- Make your Daydream or Fantasy Come True: What have you been dreaming about? Do you have somewhere you wish you to go to? What was your aspiration while you were younger? Once you consider this, you can decide to take a break and fulfill your dream and aspirations.
- Be conscious of your mental health: Your mental health is another factor that needs to be duly considered before taking a career break. Anxiety and depression are common in society. You should consider your state of mind before taking a career break.
- Learn a New Language: Being able to communicate effectively in another dialect is an asset; it’s one of the factors that need consideration. Would you be able to communicate effectively in the language of the location you are considering for your break? You can start learning the language; I believe the best way to learn a new language is by living among people who speak it.
I’m of the opinion that going through the shortlist has provided insight on some of the factors that need to be considered before taking a career break
Like this article? Do not forget to share it!!!
Sharing is Love ❤️